April 19, 2009
to wrap up my birthday week i wake up (after having a great dream about being a vampire) to another day of cloudy skies and rain. yesterday my neighbor was sunbathing on her deck and a week ago my deck was covered in snow. inconsistent weather drives me insane and bad weather makes me cry.
my bff always tells says “you shouldn’t let the weather drive your mood”. dude, it is sooo much easier to slap a smile on your face and when the sun’s shining in a clear blue sky. on my last quick trip to sunny california before my flight out i had an early breakfast along the beach. i noticed the big fat smiles on the faces of the happy, healthy people, running, biking and walking their dogs near by. even the dogs looked happier.
once a year i take a vaca to laguna beach, we stay at the surf and sand hotel and create some of my favorite memories. life seems perfect there. when it’s leaving time i declare i’m moving and stock up on over priced real estate ads.
when the weather here is bad i get mad at myself for not moving in with the palm trees but then i remind myself…
- that my precious grandparents live nearby and i love them more than a beach
- that my friends, family and loved ones who often drive me crazy but give life meaning are all also in a drives reach and
- that most of the talent team at Talent Revolution are all close by
while i haven’t given up on my dream to be a vampire living by the surf and sand. i’m putting it on hold for now. better weather’s coming and boating days at the lake and lunches in the sun at the greene are just around the corner. in the meantime i’m working on a plan to have my cake and eat it too.
March 13, 2009
i’m drinking lemon water and talking too loud at a borders bookstore in ohio. a guy flashes me an annoyed glare and i wink at him (my charming way of apologizing). i’m rushing to wrap up my week so that i can move onto a fun-filled 7 year old’s birthday weekend. i keep getting distracted wondering whether or not i was too hard on the guy i just hung up the phone with. i’m on the second day of a two day fast, so i’m not quite as approachable as i might normally be. while i may not be as debonair as i usually am (ha), this fast has been a meaningful experience for me that’s making me a better person in a few ways:
1) i’m typically a wimp and sometimes pretty lazy when it comes to this type of stuff. it’s pretty cool to discover a newly found discipline and toughness.
2) i decided to do the fast for selfish reasons. cleanse my system, lose some weight and clear my mind. however, by choosing to go two days experiencing hunger pains during this month’s “12 for 12k Charity, Share Our Strength” fund raising, i haven’t been able to quit thinking about the children who don’t have a choice in the matter. and, i’m so inspired to do more.
3) while i’m clearly aggravated easily, i’m in this strangely lovable, super affectionate place right now when it comes to those i care about most.
once i got past the whining and headache i realized i’m kind of digging this fast thing. or it’s making me delusional. either way, I can’t wait for breakfast in the morning.
March 7, 2009
over the last few weeks i’ve had this love affair with saturday’s. as the day nears i get giddy, it may be one of the biggest day crushes i’ve ever had.
last saturday was the best ME day I’ve had in a long time. i’m not sure whether it was the relaxing trip to the spa or my carefree attitude and approach to the day that made it so perfect. either way today i’m requesting more of the same.
it’s saturday morning’s that are my favorite hands down. waking up naturally to birds chirping no-pj’s, no alarm, where the only expectation from the day is a sunrise and knowing it’s agenda is at my command.
this morning i haven’t left my bed yet. the sound of the birds chirping outside are competing with my tweet deck updates. i laugh to myself because from another room I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. i don’t know what’s more telling that, or the fact that i’m in bed with twitter. a twitter friend tells me i should be participating in #sexysaturday ‘s . i think to myself ..
“oh, believe me i am and you have no idea how good i’m becoming at this.”
i just don’t know why i didn’t start participating in sexy saturday’s sooner..